5 Facts About Massage Therapy
Like most people, you probably think of massage therapy as a way to relax and pamper yourself. While you'd be right, massage therapy has many other benefits. Here are five facts about massage therapy.
Massage therapists are highly trained professionals. To become a licensed massage therapist, you must complete an accredited massage therapy program and pass a rigorous exam.
There are different types of massage therapy, each with its own benefits, including:
- Swedish massage. The most common type of massage is Swedish massage, whose fundamental goal is to relax the muscles.
- Deep tissue massage. A deep tissue massage targets deep, chronic muscle pain and tension.
- Sports massage. As the name suggests, athletes use a sports massage to prevent and treat injuries.
- Trigger point massage. Instead of an all-over massage, a trigger point massage focuses on specific areas of the body that are in pain.
- Pregnancy massage. If you are pregnant, you can still enjoy the benefits of massage therapy. Pregnancy massage is a type of massage specifically designed for pregnant clients.
- Hot stone massage. As the name suggests, a hot stone massage uses heated stones on your back to aid in relaxing the muscles.
- Aromatherapy massage. Essential oils combined with various massage techniques make aromatherapy massage a unique way to relax the mind and body.
Massage therapy has many benefits, including relaxation, reduced stress, and pain relief. Massage therapy has been shown to be effective in treating various types of pain, including:
- Arthritis pain
- Back pain
- Fibromyalgia pain
- Headache pain
- Migraine pain
- Muscle pain
- Nerve pain
- Sports injuries
- Stress relief
Self-care is vital for overall health and wellbeing. Massage therapy is a great way to take care of yourself. It can help you relax and take a break from the stress of everyday life.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, massage therapy has been shown to decrease levels of the stress hormone cortisol and increase serotonin and dopamine levels, all of which have mood-boosting effects.
It is a safe and effective treatment for many conditions. Massage therapy is used as a complementary treatment for other conditions, such as:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- High blood pressure
- Multiple sclerosis
- Stroke recovery
Massage therapy can also help improve circulation. Poor circulation can lead to several problems, including arthritis and inflammation.
While massage therapy is a way to relax, it can also relieve pain, improve circulation, reduce stress, and more. Talk to a massage therapist today to learn more about how massage therapy can help you.
Contact a massage clinic like the Northside Myofascial-Release Center to learn more.